You may source a supplier for any number of tasks when moving house, from Estate Agents and decluttering consultants to removal companies, but how do you know you are choosing the right supplier.
You should source no less than three suppliers for every job you need doing, but if you ask the wrong questions then you are wasting your precious time.
A standard way to appraise a supplier following delivery of their product or service is by Quality, Quantity, Time, Price and Place. This is what you should look for when researching reviews.
This refers to the quality of the goods and services. Have previous customers received what they paid for?
If someone charged you at an hourly rate, or you ordered a specific number of items, be that cardboard boxes or tape. The question is did other customers receive what they ordered?
This one is straight forward, was the product or service delivered / executed as promised to set deadlines? Also with removal companies be aware of customers mentioning waiting costs in case your move takes longer than anticipated.
Was the price the customers paid what was quoted or were there additional, unforeseen changes? This could be like the removal company ‘waiting fees’. Or in the case of the Estate Agents, did your house achieve asking price? If it did, then they did a good job at valuing your house, if you had several price reductions then in my opinion that experience would fail this criteria.
Was the product / service delivered / carried out in the location that was promised? Here you would be looking for removal companies attending the correct address, not getting lost when moving your items and the like.
Useful supplier sites include:
Declutterers and home organisers – www.apdo.co.uk
Home inspiration – www.houzz.co.uk
There are also a number of comparison websites out there where you can first of all check price and then look into reviews on different sites.
Consider asking some of these questions when Sourcing a Supplier:
- How would you rate yourself against your competitors?
- Why should I choose you over your competitors?
- If I were to ask a recent client about their experience working with you, what would they say?
- Do you have any testimonials or references?
- Are you a member of any regulatory body?
- What level of insurance do you hold? (always make sure you collect a copy of their insurance documentation)
- Don’t be afraid of asking for the price, and certainly don’t be afraid of negotiating, and asking what the price includes and excludes
- Do you envisage there been any additional charges? If so what do you charge extra for?
- Are there cancellation fees?
Time / Place:
- Where are you based?
- Do you charge for travel time?
- How many people work in the company?
- Are your team employed or self-employed?
- Who would be assigned to my job?
- Who would be my project manager?
- What is your complaints procedure?
Some of these questions may not be relevant for all suppliers. But for example if you are looking at hiring a removal company and asking them to pack your personal belongings then it is important you have assurances that your personal details / data / belongings are in safe hands.
If you need help sourcing suppliers for your move then House Moving Solutions offer a personal touch supplier sourcing service. No less than three quotations will be obtained for each of your services. House Moving Solutions will appraise each supplier and compile a report for your perusal and assist you in choosing the right supplier to suit your requirements. Click HERE to view a full range of services or call 07860773351 to arrange your free consultation.
We pride ourselves in giving the personal touch, being with you every step of the way to help you move house.
Thank you for reading and Good Luck with your move.
For tips on Moving House subscribe to our mailing list below!